Anecdotes from the life of a literature student-5

THAT GAME CHANGING DAY OF MY LIFE!!!

But, the posh HR didn't stop with those three names. He added four more names who performed moderately. They were to take up a quick brief talk-a-minute to prove their spontaneity and fluency. I was surprisingly one of those four. 

We glanced sideways at one another. Those four seemed as surprised as I did. The HR started explaining again. This time he was briefer and more concise than the last time. We four were waiting for the topic for the "TALK-A-MINUTE". 
But he ended thus, " So... There you go... All set... For a minute.... Mahalakshmi, B.A.English. you can talk on ANYTHING!!!

It was totally unexpected. I could feel the heat of the hour. My lips were on the verge of betraying me again. I was functioning as though out of some reflex action. 
I couldn't figure out any remarkable thing about which I could talk for a minute. There was a battle going on in my mind. One thing my buffering brain told me. "You are done! You are just a laughing stock here!!" 

As it's rightly said, Face is the index of one's mind. The HR understood my mental suffering and hinted me, "It can be anything... Even your favourite food, movie, sports star, hero...ANYTHING!" he repeated.

I could feel the friendly side of that HR through his encouraging words.  With that spurt of energy, I started... "My favourite food is...." (What I spoke on that day is obviously not in my memory now) 
But I can still remember how clumsy and horrible my fluency was then; how disappointed he was after all his efforts to motivate me. 

I stiffled my tears and went out of the auditorium after he had announced one more candidate from the group no.4 for the next stage of group discussion. That was the first time for me to leave the auditorium with tears and distress. The place had ever been a source of happiness and enjoyment for me. But that day... It was not the same. 

It was too painful to believe that moment— the moment of embarrassment; moment of disgust; ultimately the moment of self realization. On that day I realised what actually I was and where exactly I stood. 
I thought I had to go a long way. Merely having fun in college and chatting about the same on social media at home were pointless. 

I had heard people saying, "Success kisses you in private; failure slaps you in public". I thought I would never let that freaking failure slap me again. From that day on, I was not the same thoughtless me. 

I think of that day now. It was a blessing in disguise. Had I not attended that interview I couldn't have realised the reality. 

(To be continued...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE FIRST FLIGHT!!!🥳🥳🥳

Movie Review (Dunki)

The Barricades